Thursday, August 12, 2010

My Divorce

Perhaps you were wondering why I haven't posted since May of last year. The reason is simple - I myself was getting divorced, and my ex-wife's various attorneys were quoting my own blog against me.
Now that my case has settled (on the eve of trial and after 20 months of largely useless litigation), I am free to once more hold forth on the state of our system of divorce. Putting it bluntly - it sucks! As Alec Baldwin said in his book, the process is akin to being dragged by a pickup truck down a gravel road. My ex spent tens of thousands of dollars on attorneys fees for no reason at all. Delay after delay, and what she accomplished was to push us both to the brink of financial ruin. My kids suffered horribly, but no one - including my ex, seemed to care.
There simply has to be better way. And no, I am not taking about the no-fault and maintenance bills presently sitting on Governor Patterson's desk (the subject of a future post). I am taking about the system as a whole. It needs a complete overhaul.

No comments:

Post a Comment